I am frequently contacted by people who want 1:1 help with their dogs. We do offer private lessons for basic manners/obedience as well as behavior consultation/modification lessons. How do you know whether to choose one or the other? What is the difference between these two options?
Private Lessons for Obedience/Basic Manners is the best route for examples such as:
- you don’t have time to commit to a group class
- you need help with basic skill training: sharpening a recall, working on loose leash manners, dog doesn’t know stay, for example
- any of the SKILLS we cover in puppy or basic class
- puppy age 6 months and under – you need help getting started but are unable to take puppy class at this time
- adult dog who just needs help with basic training (leash manners, sit, down, stay, coming when called)
Behavior Consultation/Modification is the best route for any of the following examples:
- you need help with a specific behavior issue: resource guarding, fear, dog-dog aggression, nipping, anxiety, house soiling, reactivity, etc.
- your dog has a behavior need that cannot be met in a group class because it requires an individualized plan of action
- dog has specific behavior needs that are not ‘skill/manners’ but a behavior that needs modifying
- dog has bitten person or dog
- dog is too anxious or fearful for group class at this time
- dog is too reactive (barks, lunges, etc.) towards people or dogs and is not yet able to participate in a group class
Basic Manners private lessons are $80/hour. We will demonstrate and work with you and your dog on the skills. A behavioral history/questionnaire is not necessary. No follow-up notes are provided.
Behavior Consultation prices vary based on whether ‘stand alone’ or part of a package. We offer these at the school, and in some cases, in the home for severe cases. Behavior consultation is more in-depth, individualized, involves taking a history, and will include follow-up notes after each lesson. Please see our behavior services page for more in-depth information on this service: http://www.ourgangpetservices.com/our-services/behavior-consultation-modification/